Friday, January 20, 2012

15 Minute Brussels Sprout Pesto


Calling all brussels sprout haters!!  You know who you are!  I don't understand all of the B.S. around brussels sprouts.  As one of my favorite vegetables I am still stunned when I hear my friends say "YUCK" when they see them.  So hate no more with Brussels Sprout Pesto -- and it only takes 15 minutes to cook!  You can't beat that!!
Brussels Sprout Pesto -- Recipe below!!
I cannot take credit for this fabulous idea!  One of my favorite blogs, Heather Cristo Cooks, featured a very similar recipe last week and I knew I had to make it!  
Look at those cuties!!
As a sprout enthusiast - I didn't see how you could go wrong.  Fresh brussels blanched to perfection then blitzed together with luscious olive oil, tart lemon, earthy nuts, tangy parmesan and a bite of fresh garlic.  I mean... HELLO!!
This recipe takes just 15 minutes!!
I veered from the original recipe a little subbing in walnuts, more oil and cheese and some red pepper flakes for more heat!
Walnuts and brussels are made for each other!!
Paired with some al dente pasta and this pesto is sure to please even the biggest brussels sprout hater!!
Brussely goodness!!
No brussels sprout haters can resist!!

15 MINUTE BRUSSELS SPROUT PESTO
Slightly adapted from Heather Cristo Cooks 
Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup plus a few tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • juice of a lemon
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 pound pasta
 Directions 
  • Bring large pot of salted water to a boiled.
  • Clean off brussels sprouts, remove outer leaves and cut in half.  Cook in boiling water until bright and tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Keeping the water boiling, remove brussels with a slotted spoon and rinse under cold water in a colander.  Set aside.
  • Put pasta into boiling water and cook using the box's directions.
  • Meanwhile, place garlic, brussels sprouts and olive oil into a food possessor.  Blend until smooth scraping down the sides.  Add in lemon juice, walnuts, parmesan and crushed red pepper flakes and blend until completely combined.  Add more oil if needed.  Salt and pepper to taste. 
  • Once pasta is cooked and drained toss with the pesto.  Serve topped with remaining parmesan.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment