Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Fried Cheese Curds

This is mean.  I know and I am really sorry.  Here I am on the first week of the New Year, when I am sure some of you have set from weight-loss or healthy eating goals, and I am writing about fried cheese.  Gooey.  Crispy.  Buttery.  Deep fried.  Cheese curds.

I discovered cheese curds on my first trip to Wisconsin a few years ago.  The state takes cheese seriously!!  Everywhere you go there are wheels and wheels of cheese.  I am not kidding you.  Pick up a bottle of water at a newsstand at the Milwaukee Airport and you will find a refrigerated case of cheese.  Go to any run down convenience store and there is an entire section devoted to cheese.  Cheddar.  Havarti.  Gouda.  Swiss.  Pepper Jack.  The state churns out more than 600 types of cheese!!  Including the infamous cheese curd.
MMMmmmm... cheese curds!
What is a cheese curd, you ask?  A NYT writer described them as cheddar in it's freshest state.  So fresh it "squeaks" when you eat it.  No really, it does.  Eating them sounds kind of like chewing on a rubber balloon... but obviously tastes much, much better!  

Yum!!!
Curds are cheese that has been separated from whey but have yet to be formed into wheels and blocks and whatnot.  Outside of the Midwest you don't really see it in stores and on menus because you are supposed to eat it within 24/48 hours of being made.  AND the most popular way to eat cheese curds is deep fried!
Dinner at Charlie and Becky's
So when we arrived at our friends' Wisconsin home for dinner the other night I squealed when I saw two bags of fresh cheese curds on the counter.  My friend Charlie was going to make beer batter fried cheese curds(Insert heart attacked here!!)
Beer Batter





Chef Charlie


Charlie's beer batter perfectly coats the curds so when fried they become light and fluffy.  The buttery, golden exterior breaks open to gooey, cheesy goodness that literally melts in your mouth.  If you can get your hands on a fresh bag of these nibs... you need to try this recipe!!

Charlie's Beer Battered Cheese Curds
(Adapted from All Recipes)

Fried Golden Goodness!!
Ingredients 
  • Fresh cheese curds
  • 2 quarts of corn oil
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup beer
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • ranch dressing, for dipping (optional)
Veggie Ham Crescent Wreath ReciDirections

  • In a medium bowl, mix together milk, flour, beer, eggs and salt.
  • Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet or pot over medium heat until temperature is about 250 degrees.
  • Working in batches, coat the cheese curds with the batter and carefully fry them in the oil for about 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown.
  • Drain on paper towels.  
  • Serve with ranch dressing or favorite dipping sauce.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for recipe! These were delicious, We used Summit Extra Pale Ale and they came out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try these! I lived in WI for a year and your picture looks like the curds I use to get while I was there! Having this wonderful goodness in my mouth is long overdue!! yum!!

    ReplyDelete