Pizza is one of my favorite comfort foods. BUT all of that gooey cheese, tangy sauce and chewy crust can be a mess to eat for party-goers. So why not make a pizza snack that won't explode all over your shirt (AND my couch)!!
These cheesy bites pack the same spicy punch of pepperoni pizza without the sauce stains. AND another plus is you could sub in any of your favorite pizza toppings. Instead of pepperoni and olives.... how about sausage and mushrooms? Or go veggie with broccoli and peppers! The pizza possibilities are endless!
MINI PIZZA BITES
- Adapted from Plain Chicken -
- Makes 24 bites -
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used low-fat, part skim)
- 1/2 cup regular or turkey pepperoni slices, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. In a small bowl, combine milk and egg then slowly whisk into flour mixture. Stir in mozzarella, pepperoni and olives. Let mixture rest for 10 minutes out on the counter.
- Meanwhile, spray a 24-mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Once mixture has rested, divide between the muffin cups and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until bites are puffed and golden brown.
- Remove pizza bites from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Place some marinara sauce in a small bowl and heat in the microwave. Serve with cooled pizza bites. Enjoy!