As you can imagine, you don't have to go far for good mushroom soup in Mushroom Country. While many restaurants have their own special recipes, the Terrace Restaurant in Kennett Square has my absolute favorite! Located in the middle of lush Longwood Gardens, people travel from hours away to sip on this soup. Sweet tarragon heightens the earthy mushrooms while a little bit of cream rounds out this dish. Make this recipe at home or visit Longwood Gardens and the Terrace Restaurant to get a bite of what southern Chester County has to offer!!
CHESTER COUNTY MUSHROOM SOUP
Courtesy of the Terrace Restaurant (Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square)
Makes 4 large servings
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus two tablespoons melted butter
- 2 pounds washed white button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound washed shiitake mushrooms, stemmed removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound washed oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 pints chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon flour
- Mince carrots, onions and celery in a food processor and saute in a heavy pot with oil. In batches, mince the mushrooms in the food processor, adding to the pot along with the tarragon, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure the mushroom mixture does not burn.
- Add stock and cream to the pot and bring to a boil. In a small bowl mix together the melted butter and flour. Using a whisk, whip into soup until fully incorporated and soup begins to thicken. Bring soup back to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving. Enjoy!!