Monday, February 20, 2012

Getting Crafty with a Framed Song

"In my mind... I'm going to Carolina..."  If I close my eyes I feel like I am standing on the porch of my grandparents' North Carolina beach house watching the sunrise over the ocean, hearing the waves crash on the shore and smelling the salty-sweet air.  Thank you, James Taylor!!
Music means memories for me.  My parents have always been huge music lovers so they were constantly exposing my brothers and me to different artists, bands and genres.  Even when my mom was pregnant with me she would put earphones on her belly and play Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, Peter Tosh and Eric Clapton.  Now, as an adult, I listen to some songs and they bring back these warm, happy memories of my parents and loved ones.  One of those songs is "Carolina in My Mind" by James Taylor.
Topsail Beach, North Carolina is a special place for my family.  My grandparents bought a home there decades ago and almost every summer my aunts, uncles, cousins, second-cousins and other family and friends from all over the country come to gather.  I think it is safe to say it is my mother's favorite place on the planet.  So when it came time to think about what to give her for her birthday I thought this would be a perfect.  A framed song and picture.
To make, all you need is a frame, a picture matte, a favorite song with a photo to match, a ruler, a pencil (with a white eraser), and craft pen.  Using the ruler and a pencil, gently create guide marks about a centimeter apart.  Then using the craft pen, neatly write out the lyrics to the song you have chosen.  I used hearts to separate stanzas.  Then using the white eraser, gently erase the pencil lines.  Secure the photo to the matte and then place in the frame.  
Now this craft project is easier said than done.  It takes a lot of measuring and penmanship but the end product is a special handmade gift perfect for any music lover in your life.  I think it would also be a wonderful anniversary gift for a couple featuring their first dance song.
My mom loved her birthday gift!!  James Taylor's lyrics beautifully surround a picture of a Topsail Beach sunrise.  In my mind, I have definitely gone to Carolina!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely without a doubt BEAUTIFUL and most thoughtful give I've seen in awhile! I don't know if I possess the skill to recreate, but I'm hopeful! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete